Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan-Book Review

Ranger’s Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan Review
Ranger’s Apprentice: The Ruins of Gorlan is the first book in the exciting Ranger’s Apprentice series. In the beginning of the book, Will, the orphaned main character, is given the opportunity to choose which job he wants to have. After being rejected from all of his choices, Halt, a well-renowned ranger, chooses him as his apprentice. A ranger’s job is to protect the kingdom and its citizens. Will learns a lot throughout training before he learns some unexpected and terrifying news: that Lord Morgarath is back. Morgarath was an evil leader who was beaten years before and retreated to the safety of the mountains. He has started controlling Kalkara, horrific monsters that can easily paralyze and kill humans. Will and Halt go on an epic journey to hunt down the Kalkara. Little do they know, the Kalkara are actually hunting them down. Will is given the task to go summon knights to help fight the Kalkara. During the fight, all of the knights are either paralyzed or injured. When all hope seems lost, Will ends up saving multiple people’s lives and killing the Kalkara.
I really like the message that this book shares, that bravery can come from anyone, no matter their background, age, or experience. I think this is important to remember in society today since young people are often seen as foolish and unintelligent. I also like all of the details in the book. By reading these, it helps me imagine how it would have felt to be in the situations and places throughout the book. The details also help to develop the characters throughout the book. Will constantly grows stronger, both mentally and physically, throughout his training and adventures. You can also see his mentor, Halt, growing to accept him as well. Overall, the plot and character development in the book are quite good.
The only complaint I have about The Ruins of Gorlan is that the book starts really slowly and takes a while to get interesting. While the first part of the book is somewhat boring, it contains important background information about the characters. Even though this is important, I wish it could have been done in a more interesting way. However, the book makes up for this by having notstop action later.
In my opinion, The Ruins of Gorlan is a fantastic book for anyone to read. It has excellent character development, action, and plot lines. I would especially recommend it to people interested in medieval settings, action, and science fiction. I hope you guys decide to read the book!

Comments

  1. I recall reading this book a long time ago, but I completely forgot about it. This positive review of the book, however, has caused me to maybe try it again. I like how you also tried to find the moral for the book, that bravery can come from anyone, in addition to summarizing the book's basic plot. Overall, this is a well-written and very detailed post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very excited when I saw your review! I really enjoyed John Flanagan and his writing and was basically obsessed with his works in middle school (which was only just a few years ago). Back then what I liked about Flanagan was the action and the plot of his books, especially since he somehow managed to make keep coming up with storylines and plots that were actually interesting and engaging for me as the reader.
    I liked how you mentioned the overall message of the book, which is something I guess I recognized in the back of my mind but never really thought about. Your review was also well structured, with the summary at the beginning and personal opinions towards the end.
    I definitely agree with you about the amazing details! Flanagan does a great job incorporating those into the story and drawing readers in with the amazing sensory descriptions. That's one of the things I really enjoyed about Flanagan as an author.
    If you liked Ranger's Apprentice, I definitely recommend you try the Brotherband Chronicles as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really liked your short summary of the book and it captured the plot of the book nicely. I remember that this was my favorite series many years ago since I think Flanagan does a great job of building an interesting and exciting world full of adventure and action. I like how you talked about the themes of bravery in the book since I never explicitly noticed that when I was reading the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book not too long ago and I'd say you did pretty good job at summarizing it in a captivating way, while also remembering to point out the general pros and cons. I do agree that although necessary, the beginning of the book did start out slow. It's one of the reasons that I, personally, didn't finish this book sooner. Good job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike the other commenters, I have never read this book. However, after reading your review, I might give this book a try! I appreciate your straight-forward summary of the book, as it allowed me to understand the gist of the book without all the unnecessary details. If I read this book, I will definitely keep your complaint about the lengthy exposition in mind. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment