Books to Read if You Love These TV Shows

A problem that I see much too often in this world is people refraining to read books and instead devoting all of their time to watching movies and TV shows. Yes, movies and TV are great, but sometimes you just need a good book. I think that the main reason people tend to stay away from reading is because it is difficult to find a book they enjoy, but fear no more because I have created a list of books that are similar to the shows that everyone likes.

1. Reality TV (The Bachelor, Love Island, Ex on The Beach, 90-Day Fiancee)
If you enjoy reality TV shows that are about love and always have drama, here is the book for you:
The Selection by Kiera Cass- This book is set in a dystopian world in which 35 girls are chosen to compete for the love of Prince Maxon who lives in a luxurious fairy tale world. Most of the girls competing feel as though they are living the dream. However, one competitor, America Singer, is living in a nightmare, separated from her friends, family, and forbidden crush. This book makes The Bachelor seem like a children's tale and is filled with many unexpected twists and turns.

2. Comedy (The Good Place, The Office, Parks and Rec, Superstore, Brooklyn Nine-Nine)
Ok, maybe you don't like reality TV, that's fine, maybe you enjoy watching feel-good comedies or hilarious satires. If so, here is the book for you:
They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera- This book follows the story of two strangers, Mateo and Rufus, on a journey to spend their last day on earth in the best way possible. The two people are paired up on an app called "Last Friend" and spend the day together talking about their lives and bettering themselves, reminding readers of Chidi and Eleanor's relationship in The Good Place.

3. Crime/Mystery (Law and Order, Criminal Minds, Sherlock, Blacklist)
If you enjoy watching TV shows with never ending twists and turns that are action and crime filled, this is the book for you:
Cross the Line by James Patterson- In this book, homicide detective, Alex Cross, joins his wife in an effort to beat a commonly known criminal at his own game. Throughout the chapters, we see Alex trying to balance his family life and the many dangerous criminals that are trying to murder him. This book is packed with action and is great for anyone that loves watching explosions and epic fights.

Hopefully, after reading this you have realized that some books can be fun to read and may be better than a movie or TV show. If you're hesitant to interrupt your show watching schedule with long books, maybe try reading while you're waiting for the next season of your favorite show to come out.

-Andrea Torelli

Comments

  1. This was a really great idea for a post! I guess I never really considered or thought about what books could give me the same enjoyment as a TV show so this was nice to read. Although I don't watch many TV shows anymore, all these books sound really interesting and you did a good job summarizing them all. I am curious though what your personal opinion is on the books (do you like them all or were they chosen for their similarities to shows?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how this post utilized aspects of a book review, but in a way that is more informational and interesting. I think this is a good concept and I'd like to see this list expanded even further in the future. The book you mentioned that most caught my eye was "They Both Die at the End" since I just watched the finale of "The Good Place." While you mention the book and show as comedy, they also both seem to have elements of philosophy. Though I see a lot of information about reading being important and needing to watch less TV, this post presented the information in a more helpful and creative way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! I loved reading this post, and I think it's helpful for finding book that you like. I agree with you that a lot of people, including me, can have trouble finding books they like reading, so this is a good way to decide which books you might want to read. I am a fan of "The Office", so I might check out "They Both Die at the End".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the review, Andrea! Looking through our blog, I found this gem of a review you've posted. And although I don't watch much TV - a sad fact of our busy lives - I am somewhat familiar with all of the shows you have mentioned, and find your correlations both incredibly accurate and comically linked. For example, I really enjoyed how you put crime and mystery together with a detective story with lots of epic fights, which may not seem to pair well but surprisingly, the Ancient Aliens and Alex Cross are an absolute fire combo, so anything is possible at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, I like how you chose a different type of post and book recommendation than the normal summary and review. I have not read any of the books you mentioned nor have I watched any of the TV shows mentioned. However, I think I can still pick out which genre I will be most interested in. I enjoy those feel-good comedies so I may check out "They Both Die at the End". All of your summaries and explanations were thorough so I got a better idea of what I should choose. Also, I am glad you gave a purpose for the post, to get people reading more than watching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a creative post! I agree that people tend to watch TV more than read books because it might be hard for them to find a book they would enjoy, but I also think it's because reading takes more effort than watching TV so it's important to find a book that you won't get bored with and has the kinds of stories you like, so this was a helpful review. I will definitely be checking out the second and third books! Did you read these books and think they were the best of their genre or are they just the ones most similar to the shows?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I don't really watch the TV shows that you talk about here (feat my mother haha) I do know generally what they are about and I was intersted to find the correlation between their plots and the books that you mention. Books and television are not often put together; especially since nowadays parents are always yelling at their children to "get out from in front of that TV" and that "in my days, we read books..." In fact, TV and books are almost treated as complete opposites, which is why I thought it ironic and funny that you decided to put these two together. Out of the two books that you mention, I have only actually read the Selection by Kiera Cass, and I must admit that it is an extremely dramatic love story and seems to fit well with the shows that you mention (though I have not heard about a few of them, they all seem to be the sappy dramatic rom-com type, so...) And I definitely agree that it perfectly correlates to the Bachelor. Overall, I was impressed with your creative and accurate blog post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I appreciate how for each book recommendation, you provided a brief, yet effective summary. Considering how Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Law and Order are two of my favorite shows, I might have to give They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera and Cross the Line by James Patterson. I would definitely be interested in a continuation of this book recommendation series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a really cool idea for a blog! It's really interesting to see how you compare popular tv shows with books. Since I'm a guy who watches a lot of tv shows, this post was especially useful to me. I like how you highlighted the important parts of each book and how they relate to the appropriate tv show. Nice job on the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment