Twilight by Stephenie Meyer- Review

Reviewer: Mariam Vaid

Although many consider Twilight by Stephenie Meyer a “disgrace to literature” and an “absolute waste of time,” (my friend’s words, not mine), I for one believe the world-renowned novel was a catalyst for what is now known as the paranormal romance genre. This “highly-acclaimed” novel revolves around Isabella Swan, a seventeen-year-old outcast who has come to her father’s hometown of Forks, Washington. She begins high school
and here meets Edward, the mysterious yet handsome member of the Cullen family. Immediately infatuated, Bella attempts to strengthen their relationship, in the process uncovering a secret capable of destroying both their lives and that of those they care about. Hint, hint, both Edward and his family are distant relatives of the infamous Count Dracula.

Upon reading Twilight, and despite its addictive nature, there were a few red flags I came across along the process. First off, Bella herself seemed to have instantly formed an attraction to Edward, to the point in which she appears obsessed. Not even a third into the novel, she claimed she was “unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him [Edward].” Now, I have read my fair share of romance novels, however the particular development of Bella and Edward’s relationship is a bit too insta-love for my taste, taking away its sense of realism.

Second, Edward’s treatment of Bella was enough to raise a few eyebrows. I understand revealing his true nature as a vampire puts her life at risk, and our favorite “knight in shining armor,” Edward, is desperate to keep his true love alive. However on more than one instance he takes upon the role of the domineering male slightly too seriously. During their various encounters, I found myself aghast at his outright objectification of Bella, treating her as if she were merely a weak child. And although in comparison to himself Bella may seem delicate, at the time it seemed more important Edward taught her to defend herself against rogue vampires, rather than treat her as if her were her father.

Despite the few questionable traits of the characters, I found myself unable to put Twilight down. The novel is one without much underlying meaning or a hidden message, perfect for those wishing to read solely for the purpose of escapism. Complete with a high school setting, an angsty romance, and of course everybody’s favorite- vampires, Twilight is a must read and serves as the perfect introduction to the genre of paranormal romance.






Comments

  1. I have read Twilight before and I agree with what you say about it. Bella and Edward's relationship seems very rushed at times. Bella appeared to be especially clingy in an annoying. I do believe that the book could've been written better but it's not terrible. I like the way you described the characters and their flaws in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this book before, but it seems like a good read. You do a great job telling the reader your opinion. Overall, this is a well-written, detailed post. You not only summarize the book, you also create a claim about the characters' flaws and justify your claim using evidence from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the statement that Bella and Edward seem to have an odd and abnormal relationship, however that seems to be one of the staples of vampire love novels. I thought that it was very nice of you to mention the obvious faults of the book, but still acknowledge its large influence on this sub genre of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have always believed that Twilight was a "disgrace to humanity", however after reading you review, I think it would be worthwhile to check it out and give it a read. You brought up may good points about the interesting concept of the book and the character of Bella and Edward's relationship. On the other hand you also brought up some of the flaws of the book. I think that despite these flaws your description of Twilight has captured me. Thank you for giving us an unbiased review of the book and sharing your experiences with reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the book's plot seems a bit...who am I kidding? very farfetched, but the writing itself is very descriptive and particular which I really enjoyed while reading it (Twilight). The relationship between Bella and Edward just seems to get weirder and weirder throughout the book and series. Their interactions just seem awkward. I agree with you that the relationship between the two main characters is simply bizarre. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate how in this blog post you state and explain what you dislike about the book, but you also give some evidence as to why this book is so popular. Bella and Edward's relationship is strange and unrealistic, and it's not just because Edward is a vampire. However, there is something in their relationship that is appealing to many people, and has generated hundreds of fanfics, some even becoming independent and popular stories of their own. Like it or not, Twilight is a cult classic that has hugely popularized a category of novels. This was a very in depth and interesting blog post to read, and I like how you didn't get your own opinions on the genre and book completely sway your review and analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this review! Although I have not read the book, I have heard many bad things about Twilight, so I’m glad you took it upon yourself to form your own opinion of the book. I like how you describe the book as good for what it is, instead of bad because of what it is, and I agree that sometimes it’s fun to read books with minimal plot simply for enjoyment and as an escape.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment