The Princess Bride by William Goldman- Review


A timeless classic both on-screen and in the pages of a novel, these past few weeks I ventured into the genre of historical fantasy in hand with The Princess Bride by William Goldman. The novel begins with the author himself discussing the effects of this novel, as it pertains to his childhood. Goldman proclaims he has singled out the “good parts” from the original novel his father read to him as a child, in the hopes
of persuading his own son to read The Princess Bride.

As the novel was written in 1973 and set in an undefined time in the fictional countries of Florin and Guilder, I was initially unsurprised by the dynamic between Buttercup and Westley (the two romantically involved protagonists), however as the novel progressed I became more and more aghast at the blatant stereotypes placed on these individuals. Buttercup, the daughter of a milkmaid, is both blonde and clueless playing into the overused theme of a “dumb blonde.” Westley, is lean, muscular, and as predicted completely proficient in swordfighting. He takes on the position of saving the damsel in distress, in this case Buttercup, and with his macho demeanor saves her from the clutches of Prince Humperdink (which by the way, is one of the most ridiculous names I have ever heard). This central theme was the primary issue, and although may have seemed a bit too cliche, never truly impacted my overall enjoyment of the novel.

I personally found the variety, in both personality and physical descriptions of the characters particularly interesting. Among Buttercup and Westley, are Prince Humperdink (who frequently engages in fighting and adventure and is portrayed rather ridiculously), Vizzini (an arrogant and ruthless assassin), Fezzik (a timid, yet kind giant), and Inigo (an extremely skilled and dangerous swordsman), along with many others. The stark contrast between each individual brought my attention to every associated detail, further enhancing my anticipation to read each chapter.

Another aspect of The Princess Bride I considered especially appealing was its pure simplicity, as it pertains to ordinary fantasy. As stated in my previous book review, I tend to choose novels based on their level of escapism. This novel, although includes complex characters and a startling ending, simultaneously incorporates the typical elements of any fantasy novel, for example, super-human strength, miracles, and love, which when brought together defy all obstacles.

The Princess Bride by William Goldman is perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman, or for those who enjoyed reading The Neverending Story by Michael Ende last year during Subfreshman English. Even those like myself who tend to gravitate more towards contemporary YA novels, would benefit from this delightfully engaging novel, and upon doing so will find it inconceivably* wonderful.

*This word usage, was by the way, a direct correlation to the novel, and to understand its
significance, one must read The Princess Bride.

- Mariam Vaid

Comments

  1. I have watched The Princess Bride movie, but have never actually read the book. Your description made it seem like the movie is accurate to the content of the book, which is not always the case with books that have been turned into movies. I found this review helpful because not only did you say what you didn't like about it and why that was an issue, but you also described each of the things that made the book enjoyable for you to read. I will make sure to check out this book at some point to see how I like it compared to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also watched The Princess Bride movie and I am so glad that you enjoyed the book just as I enjoyed the movie. I really appreciated your brief summary on the characters as well as overarching plot as it gives new readers (and viewers) a glance into the novel in order to determine whether or not The Princess Bride is for them. Also, your examples of what you liked and disliked were informative and helped the readers (of your blog) gauge whether or not they would find this novel worthwhile. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also watched The Princess Bride movie and I might consider now reading the book, as you have highlighted the amazingness of it. This summary doesn't really give away any spoilers, which is good, as well as doesn't spoil the whole inconceivable plot line (which is quite funny in the movie). This book review was informative and without spoilers, so it deserves most of the bolognas out of 13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also watched The Princess Bride movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think you did a great job capturing the characters (I also felt as if Buttercup's role was quite predictable) and explaining the plot without including spoilers. To be honest, I disliked how cliche it was. I could kind of predict the basic story line of the movie and I don't exactly like it when that happens. However, I do think the humor made it quite enjoyable. After reading this review, I do think I might want to check out the book to see how it differs from the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I’ve heard of this book and watched a few clips during my Language Arts class in 7th grade. Your review was really informative and well-written. I especially liked the way you described each of the characters without spoiling the plot. Your post was the first post I’ve read so far to include a section about each of the characters. Like you mentioned, even though the basic story sounds cliche, I’m guessing Goldman includes enough plot twists and unique aspects to make the story more interesting. Even though a lot of books/movies have a witless girl who needs to be saved by a bold hero, many of them are still considered “good books.” I haven’t read any Goldman books, but I might consider reading The Princess Bride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your review! I haven't read Princess Bride before, though I have heard of it. You made the book sound extremely appealing and didn't give any spoilers at the same time. I liked how you added that even though the book was a bit too cliche, it still was enjoyable. I'll definitely check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a good book! I really liked your word choice, and how you addressed the stereotypes in the book. I agree that it is good to have varying characters and it makes it more fun to not have predictable personalities. It sounds like the book is as pretty much as good as the movie, and that's saying a lot for me, because The Princess Bride is one of my favorites. I will check this book out! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like many people have watched the movie. While I have not read the book or seen the movie, I might change that. Your description of the book makes me want to pick up this book and escape into the world of William Goldman. I have never been in that world, but now I'm interested in it. I will definitely be checking out this book soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After reading and watching The Princess Bride myself, it is very interesting to see your take on the novel. I also found it to have a high level of escapism, which was enjoyable to immerse myself in. Though on the surface this book seems to be a simple fantasy story with many cliches, if you look a little deeper, the entire book is a frame tale, adding a layer of complexity. A frame tale is basically a story inside of a story, so for this book, it would be the author reflecting on how his father used to read him the story, weaving in and out of the main narration of the fantasy tale. The interesting aspect of this is that the author's memoirs of his experience with the book, though they are presented as real, are as fake as the fantasy story. In my opinion, this component of the novel is what makes it a step up from any other cliche fairytale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read the book and seen the movie, and I agree that it is a must-read (or must-watch). I also agree with what you said about simplicity. It is hard for stories that jump time to remain simple and have a straightforward plot, but The Princess Bride certainly does a good job.

    It is full of cliches, but I really enjoyed that about the book. When authors write cliches because they are simply not being creative it is annoying, but I feel like The Princess Bride is a typical maiden-in-distress, knight-in-shining-armor story on purpose to make the audience feel comfortable and in familiar territory. I really enjoyed The Princess Bride (much more than The Neverending Story ;)), and your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last time I watched "The Princess Bride" was many years ago, but it remains one of my favorite movies. Your review does a nice job detailing the characters as well as positive and negative aspects of the book, and from what I could tell it seems to compare to the movie with a nice balance of simplicity and complexity. I liked how you compared it to The Neverending Story and the works of Neil Gaiman, which definitely seem to give off a similar vibes. Great review, and I can't wait to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment