The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins- Review


*This review contains spoilers, read at your own risk.

Another few weeks, and yet another book-to-movie adaptation (by now you may be sensing a pattern), this time however, in the form of The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. An infamous favorite of the dystopian genre, I greatly enjoyed The Hunger Games movie adaptation back in elementary school, and even more so now by reading the novel.

Upon first watching The Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen on screen seemed untouchable. She emanated power and defiance, all the perfect qualities for the initiator of a rebellion. However, when reading The Hunger Games, I was given a personal perspective on her thought processes throughout the events of the novel. As The Hunger Games is written in a first person point of view, when reading I received a glimpse into all her worries and weaknesses, providing a more humane aspect to the seemingly "untouchable" Katniss Everdeen.

There are a variety of aspects of this novel I greatly enjoyed, including but not limited to: the inclusion of an intelligent and independent heroine, who knows how to survive and does not configure to the role of a damsel in distress (cough cough Buttercup from The Princess Bride). Similarly, the addition of Peeta Mellark, a kind and sensitive and supportive male lead, a fresh take on the traditional alpha-male, who brazenly imposes his opinions in any way possible. Although the characters and character development was incredible, I found the plot by far the most enticing. The original setting and uniquely thrilling plot of The Hunger Games was what kept me at the edge of my bed each night, anticipating every chapter. An annual event, which includes 24 individuals ranging in age and ability, who are confined to an area, and required to kill each other, sets the pace for a series of brutal events. I mean who would have thought of such an idea (except for Suzanne Collins of course)?

And finally, as you may know I’m a sucker for romance novels, and The Hunger Games provided the perfect amount for my needs. Not overly emphasized, the relationship between Katniss and Peeta was sweet despite the dangerous setting, and added to the novel a sense of lightheartedness. Even the ending was spectacular as the pair were willing to sacrifice themselves in order to evade killing each other. Overall, for fans of thrilling and action-packed novels in a dystopian setting, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is the perfect novel.

- Mariam Vaid


Comments

  1. I read the Hunger Games trilogy and watched the movies a few years ago, and they were probably my favorite dystopian books. I thought Susanne Collins did a great job balancing romance and action, and she did not overdo either one. The movies were also pretty accurate to the books, except for a few minor changes. This was a great review, but I would like to hear more about how you would compare each of the books/movies in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Hunger Games a couple of years ago and it remains one of the only dystopian books I enjoyed reading. I liked its unconventional action with a side of romance that you described. I am interested in watching the movie and comparing it to the book after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading the Hunger Games and thinking about how different it seemed from the generic novel. As you mentioned, the very compelling plot that is not weighed down by frivolous amenities really elevates the book. I would like to hear your thoughts on the other books of the series (you're going to read the right?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remembering reading the Hunger Games a few years ago and remember really enjoying it. I found the plot to be rather action-packed and interesting with the right amount of romance. I have not watched the movie because I've found myself disappointed with book-to-movie adaptations in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike others in the comments, I haven't actually finished reading the Hunger Games, though I have seen the movie adaptation. I do agree with you that the movie makes Katniss seem almost untouchable so it would be interesting to read about what actually goes on in her head. In addition, it seems the book does just as good of a job at using the setting and plots to create for an exciting story. I'll probably have to finish reading this book some time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having read and watched the trilogy myself, I definitely agree with your analysis of the first book. The plot premise and character stories were truly innovative and made a very engaging story. Your review does a wonderful job of capturing the essence of the story and its appeal without revealing too much. The only thing I would add for this review or to put into a review for the future is how you felt about the entire series, not just specifically the first book. Overall, great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment