Divergent by Veronica Roth- Book Review


Set in Chicago, in an alternate dystopian world where society is divided into 5 factions: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent), and each year every sixteen-year-old must select a faction where they will spend their entire lives. Divergent follows the life of Beatrice Prior, born into a family of Abnegation, yet who contrary to her family’s faction, is actually “divergent” a trait meaning one’s mind is suitable for multiple factions, in Beatrice’s case Erudite, Abnegation, and Dauntless. However, being divergent is not something one should be proud of; instead, in this society, it can get you
killed. On the day of the choosing ceremony, Beatrice decides to pull a fast one on everybody and chooses Dauntless (she even changes her name to Tris just to sound edgier), which we later realize was not the best choice as, towards the end of the novel, her identity is revealed. Through her time at Dauntless, Tris must endure extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, and along the way even falls in love.

So while reading this novel, I found there were both pros and cons. First off, I appreciated that Tris was described as relatively average-looking as opposed to the traditional “silk blonde hair with piercing blue eyes.” This was refreshing in that there was at least some way the reader is able to relate to the main character because not everybody wakes up looking as if they just came from the cover of “Vogue.” I also enjoyed the slow-burn romance between Tris and Four (yes that’s his name) as I always eye-roll at the cliche love at first sight trope you often see in novels. In Divergent, you also get a glimpse into Four’s life prior to being in Dauntless instead of remaining the cliche brooding and mysterious character also prominent in novels.

Now, onto the cons. From a glance, the plot of Divergent may seem interesting, I for one before reading the novel, thought the idea of being placed into factions was pretty cool. But the issue remains with its plausibility. First of all, I mean, how exactly will our society ever get to the point where such a thing becomes doable? (I mean, seriously - at least we can imagine the world of The Hunger Games happening given the current obsession with reality shows.) Second of all, how is it that not everybody is divergent? Let’s look at doctors as an example. In Divergent, doctors belong to the Amity faction, so I guess for the sake of plot, the medical profession does not require intelligent to learn medicine, the selflessness to sacrifice sleep and rest in favor of helping the sick, the bravery to cut into someone's bodily cavity, and the truthfulness to deliver bad news or admit when you don't know something.

Nonetheless, I understand this novel is a pure work of fiction, and I did truthfully enjoy reading Divergent. For fans of novels like The Hunger Games, Twilight, and The Giver, Divergent should definitely be next on your reading list. Until next time!

- Mariam Vaid

Comments

  1. Great review! You summarize the plot of the book nicely without giving any spoilers. I thought that by dividing your critiques of the book into pros and cons made the review easier to navigate. After reading the first book of this series, would you consider reading the other two? Overall, this was a wonderful review that highlights the different aspects of this book. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading divergent, though I read it before I got into fanfics (sorry for the brutal honesty but sometimes you just gotta read a drarry fanfic) and the concept of the slow burn relationship. Roth takes this trope to the extreme and I honestly think if we remove the love story for the other subplots of the book you're left with just a well written fanfic between tris and four. Anyway, good review, I agree with your difficulty to suspend disbelief as its really hard in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading this book, and I am enjoying it. Your summary is nice and did not give any spoilers, which I appreciate. Your review is nice and has thoughtful comments on the book. I had not thought about the fact that most people should be divergent. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read Divergent, but I have seen the movies, and they were enjoyable, so maybe I'll give the book a try. Your summary was good in that it summarized and judged without spoiling, even though I already know how it ends. It's a good point that I never thought of about how their society came to this, and how every profession overlaps with all of the factions. I enjoyed reading this post, so may many bolognas rain peacefully on to your head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I read the first two Divergent books last year because I really liked the Hunger Games, and I usually enjoy dystopian novels. I really liked the first book and most of the second book, but then I got kind of bored with it and stopped halfway through the third book. I still think it has an interesting concept, but I thought it got a little repetitive and boring after the first two books. I thought you did a really good job outlining the pros and cons of Divergent, and I never really thought about how a lot professions require several qualities and not just the one that corresponds to their faction.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment