My Favorite Book Covers

My Favorite Book Covers
If you have been reading our blog frequently, you may have noticed Elan’s analysis on book covers. The picture on the front of the book is often why we notice certain books and decide to pick them up to read. In this post, I will be analyzing different book covers and discussing why I like them. I hope this gives you ideas of books to read, since we may be stuck at home for a while! Happy Reading!
-Mikayla B.

Lady Midnight: In my opinion, this cover is very intriguing as it seems to be an action scene, but it does not show what is fully happening. I actually picked this book up since I found that the cover so interesting. The sword reflects that the book will contain action in it, which is definitely something I like reading about. I can also infer that the girl shown on the cover is either the main character, or a very important character in the plot. After I read the book, I learned that the cover picture is actually a scene in the book. I really like that because I often pick up books where the cover has nothing to do with the actual story.




The School for Good and Evil: In my opinion, this is one of the best book covers ever! It is both highly detailed and accurately portrays the story that the book tells. The main plot of the book is that two girls are taken to a school where they can either learn to be a princess or a villain. However, the two girls are put in the opposite roles than they first expected, which leads to drama and many adventures. Based on the cover, you can see which girl was originally expected to go to which school. However, the actual schools in the background reflect what schools they actually went to. This picture definitely portrays the plot of the book, which I really appreciate.



Given to the Sea: This cover also has a great deal of action going on between the waves of the sea and the flowing dress that the girl is wearing. I also think that the title has a big role on this cover. The larger “S” helps to emphasize the word “sea” which, I think, adds some suspense to the title. Due to the title and the picture, you can almost sense some tension in the cover picture, mainly about the relationship between the pictured girl and the roiling sea.



Based on my previous observations, these are the aspects that I think help to make a good book cover:

  1. Some sort of action, tension, or suspense shown.
  2. A portrayal of the plot or a scene in the book.
  3. Some sort of detailed or elaborate focus.
  4. Either lots of colors, or a good color scheme.


Comments

  1. Personally, I don't like those book covers. I just think they look too much like the cover's of books my mom reads. (no offense.) I agree however that a book cover is especially important when choosing a book. (to those people who say you can't judge a book by its cover- you absolutely can and you're lying if you say you haven't done if before.) I chose #Murder trending based off of its cover. I absolutely love that book cover. And guess what- it was a great book! I do really like this idea for a blog post though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we are told to not judge a book by its cover, the reality is that the cover is our first impression of the book, and I am glad you focused on that. In your analysis of Lady Midnight, I was reminded of how annoying it is to see a book that has nothing to do with the cover, and it feels like I've been cheated. Although I am not the biggest fan of the visual style for The School of Good and Evil, I do really like the visual storytelling that you can see if you look closer, which is always fun. Cool analysis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment