An Alternative to Going to The Library

Dear Class,

So I understand that with the current COVID-19 situation, you might have recently had trouble finding a book/audiobook to read now that all of the libraries have closed down. An alternative would be to use an online library site, which requires a library membership in order to check out ebooks and audiobooks. I have been using the Digital Library of Illinois for a few years, and I find it highly reliable when one is staying at home and in need of a book. I've decided to highlight the steps necessary to check out a book.

1. Look up: https://dlil.overdrive.com/
2. Direct  yourself to the sign-in page. There should be a button slightly below the top right corner.
3. It will ask you to select your library which is based upon your address (Champaign, Urbana, & Savoy)
4. Then, input your library membership information ie. card number and pin which you should be able to find on the back of your library card.
5. After signing in, you can either immediately look up the tile of a book in the search bar at the top of the page, or you can go to "Subjects," narrow your search to "ebooks" or "audiobooks," and finally a particular genre. From here you can browse a title.
6. Once you have selected a book title, click "borrow" (or "place a hold" if the title is not currently available).
7.  Redirect yourself back to your account where you should be able to access any book titles you have currently loaned out.
8. Finally, enjoy reading!

I hope this helps in terms of entertainment for the time being!

Sincerely,
Mariam Vaid

Comments

  1. This is a really informative review! I didn't know about this specific method of reading online, but I am glad that you wrote a post on it. I will definitely be checking this out in the future! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the resources! I do miss being able to go to the library and experiencing the general vibes, but at least know I know of some online resources. Again, thank you for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very helpful blog post. I am running out of books to read, and no one knows how long quarantine will last, so I hope to use this source. One question I had, is the title intended to repeat the words "to going" twice? Anyway, thank you and good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment